Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Exciting Future Ahead!

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


When the course I was set to teach at a local college was canceled this term, I felt frustrated. This was the third time this year that had happened. Last fall, it had been the Writing course. Someone had been chosen from within. But as far as I understood it, the course had been mine to teach. Then, this spring, I was ready to teach an Asian Studies course as well as a Western Classics course. I found out early enough that the Asian Studies was not required and as thus, the administration would not be offering it. So, I didn't prepare. But I did a lot of preparation for the Lit course. None of that time would be reimbursed. Once I got past the surprise, I kind of felt relieved - except for the loss in pay, of course.

That left me without any of the money I'd counted on bringing in and no money in reserve. All year I had been dipping into my retirement funds, and paying my bills with my small teacher's salary at the Christian academy where I teach Spanish.

So, God, what is it that you want to do with me now? Why did you close that door?

A quick inquiry into the public school system showed me that I had no leg to stand on without a teaching certificate. God, do you want me to get that? But how? With what money? What funding? And how shall I get there? What transportation? All of these questions swam around in my mind.

But somehow I don't feel daunted. God is in charge of my life. God has a plan. A plan to prosper me and not to harm me. I'll let Him work out the details. I'm even beginning to get over feeling miffed that I have to go back and get that Teacher's Certification. I am sure that the education courses will help me in my future job. It can't hurt me. I'm starting to feel excited!

Yes, I am. I always love studying when I put my heart into it. I'm a lifelong learner. I don't think that you should ever stop learning, whether it's from the teacher's or the student's perspective. The lines always blur, don't they?

The college that I'm interested in is about forty-five minutes away from where I live so God will have to provide me with transport. But there's a Office Student Disabilities Department. That's a positive first step. I'll speak with them.

As many of my readers know, I have a visual and hearing disability. The visual disability restricts me from driving, and from seeing quite a bit, especially once darkness falls. The hearing loss will affect my progress in the classroom - unless I trust that I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. If I can teach, I can learn. It's as simple as that. God will enable me.

And I'm really excited about perhaps substituting the required special education courses with a course entitled "Mild to Moderate Disabilities." This will give me a better focus on my ultimate goal, which is to work with the blind. I think even for my student teaching I can put myself in a classroom in which I deal with blind students. Is this what God has in mind for me?

Lord, I have to trust you. I don't have the money I was making overseas. But I know from past experiences that you will provide everything I need to succeed in my studies. You will also help me to help my family financially before I take that on. Thank you God, for what you are about to do in my life. You are so beautiful!! I'm thrilled to be in the center of Your will and open to what You have in store for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment