Monday, January 4, 2010

A Buck Steals into the Night

"Woof! Woof! Woof!”


Barking startled me out of my dreams and I shook my head to focus on the time at the clock beside me. 2:35 am
.


“Woof! Woof! Woof!”


I threw the layers of quilted warmth off me and dashed into the next room where Buddy had jumped up, his face pressed closely up against the glass.


"What are you barking at, Boy?"


“Woof! Woof! Woof!”


"Shshsh! Shuush! C’mon! We don’t want to wake up everyone, do we? What do ya see out there?"


As if seriously contemplating my question, Buddy paused.


I flipped on the light to the kitchen, then quickly switched it off. If anyone or any people were out there, I had just alerted them and they would now know that I was on to them.


“Woof! Woof! Grrrrr!” Buddy started up again. He sounded more menacing. His breath steamed up the window.


Out past the garden a movement caught my eye for the briefest of moments. Just there under the streetlight on the adjacent street. Two eyes? The feeling of being watched.


“Grrrrrrr! Woof! Woof! Grrr!”


A form leaped straight into the arc of light. There, silhouetted against a black sky stood an enormous deer – a magestic buck! He remained stationery, seeming to lock eyes with Buddy for a few moments, then in two bounds disappeared off into the darkness.

It felt somehow as if God had orchestrated that inspiring flash of splendor with me in mind.

Thank you, Lord! Let me always appreciate your love songs to me, morning or evening (or in the wee hours of the middle of the night)!

No comments:

Post a Comment