Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Girard resident gains notoriety



This article was written a few months before my father passed away. I am so happy that his work was recognized. I know that my father was passionate about his "garden" (the British word for yard- I consider these bushes more of a 'garden' thing as it takes so long to shape and prune them!). I often get anxious because my family cannot keep it up like my father did. It now gets trimmed just once every summer. I "attempt" to trim it with hand clippers to keep it looking good for the remaining months of summer. I wish I had had time with my dad to ask him questions about how to maintain it. He was so in tune and creative and knew how and when to replace his shrubs when the weather /spiders / disease damaged it. I know it was such a source of pride for him. My family would like to do more to keep it in tip-top shape... (This photo does not include the side or back yard shrubs, which dad also took great care in developing).
~ ~ ~ ~
Girard resident gains notoriety through his front yard design
Reprinted from the West County Times Journal February 2, 2006
By Becky Funk

What began as a hobby for one Girard resident has turned into a tourist attraction of sorts, enthralling visitors from as far away as Germany.
For the past fifty years, Don Bovaird has used his front yard as a pallete, sculpting his shrubbery into aesthetically pleasing shapes.
"The main reason I began to landscape was for privacy," said Bovaird, "Now I can sit on my front porch and remain private."
About five years ago, a group from Germany came to the Girard area and found themselves at Bovaird's home.
"A few of the group from Germany took pictures," he said, "And, about two weeks later, another group came over from Germany and took more pictures."
Additionally, Bovaird was featured on Dave Belmondo's "Route 66," and he mentioned that sometimes fishermen or other visitors to the area stop by and ask to take photos. "I guess I've gained notoriety over the years," he laughed. "The garden club also gave me an award awhile back."
Bovaird explained that in order to maintain the shrubbery, it must be trimmed and landscaped about two or three times a year. "I used to do it in the evenings, but, because of my arthritis, I have to have someone else do it now," he said. "It typically takes a whole day to get things looking good. "
Bovaird explained that he typically makes changes to the layout and design in the spring.
"It's taken a lot of labor for this," he said, "Not a lot of money, but a lot of work."

No comments:

Post a Comment