Monday, November 2, 2009

Trusting The Master

I took a long walk down to the Boro park the other day. During the walk, I picked up leaves. I decided to take them home and flatten them under a big book, then make cards with them. As I bent over to look for good leaf specimens, I began to think about all the leaves along the path. It was kind of windy so I pulled up my hood and secured it. I could hear the wind moaning through the hundreds of trees along the banks surrounding the road. I looked up and saw that the wind was prying some leaves off and throwing them to the ground at that very moment.

This caused me to reflect on not only the leaves but our lives as well. "Trusting the Master"is the result is the result of my reflections that day.

It's as if we are leaves in God's palm. Oftentimes, we are at odds with letting go of the familiar. We almost have to be pried from the safety of our branches, limbs, and taken from the tree, which has been our home for a season...how much do we trust Him? How many emotions we go through on our flight off the stem! Do our deeper colors demonstrate our maturity ... or is it our size ... or speed in which we fly? Or is it how we land?

~ ~ ~ ~

"...because he himself (God) gives all men life and breath and everything else...He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is never far. For in him we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:25-28, NIV.

Trusting the Master

Yellow-belly core
Hugging slender stems,
Unwilling to let loose--
Prying, tearing, lifting,
Filtered through His Hands.
Sailing, lunging, laughing,
Each unique acrobatic performance
Highlights the changing
Crimson-tipped free form
Cupped within His fingers,
Finally wafting to resettle.

Wherever it is that we land, may we never lose sight that God is the one who gives us life and breath, and it is His course that we spiral through during our lifetime.

Walking through the woods made me realize that I cannot chart my own path or determine how fast or slow I am to move, but I have to depend on God to guide me. I am lost in the wind without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment